Sunday, June 8, 2008

Running with Scissors

So what is this one about?
Poor Augusten Burroughs whose mother was a delusional, pill-popping, over emotional nutcase. His mother never mothered him, and instead had her nutcase, insaneo therapist adopt him, so she wouldn't have to deal with it.

And how much did I pay to watch?
I am a proud Netflix customer since 2005. I got this as one of my movies. On my plan I get 3 movies at a time, unlimited, for $16.99/month.

And what did I think?
I remember seeing ads for this movie when it was in the theatre, and i thought it would be moderately amusing. But I was wrong. It wasn't depressing like I was depressed watching it, it was depressing like I didn't want to finish watching it because I felt so bad for this poor 15 year old Augusten Burroughs. The fact that it was a true story made it all the more depressing. Honestly, I wanted to turn it off, but I have a real problem not finishing movies I start. The ending wasn't really redeeming for all the horrors that had happened during the movie. And although I haven't read the book, I get the feeling that it should have remained a book and never been made into a movie.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
This one is tough to rate, because as a movie all the visual and artistic aspects were there which made the film very visually stimulating. I assume it brought to life this world that as watchers we wouldn't have been able to believe as readers. But the story was so awful, which really had nothing to do with the film. The acting was quite good too, especially the guy who played Augusten.
Therefore, I will rate it a 5.

No comments: