Friday, August 21, 2009

The Hangover

So what is this one about?
Netflix tells us,
When three friends (Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis and Bradley Cooper) finally come to after a raucous night of bachelor-party revelry, they find a baby in the closet and a tiger in the bathroom. But they can't seem to locate their best friend, Doug (Justin Bartha) -- who's supposed to be tying the knot. Launching a frantic search for Doug, the trio perseveres through a nasty hangover to try to make it to the church on time.
guh oh! Sounds like trouble/fun!

And how much did I pay to watch?
Well, I saw this at the big bad Cinema DeLux, with Christine and Steven and Mel (yes, Mel. Can you believe that? She aint been to the movies in years!) the day I returned from Belgrade in order to stay awake in order to stave off jetlag. Was this a smart decision? Answer: yes.

Oh yeah, how much did I pay? Um, maybe like $10 or $12. I forget.

And what did I think?
So, I picked the Hangover because I needed to watch a movie in order to stay awake. If I had stayed at home I would have fallen asleep--I had been awake for easily two days (Let me give you a piece of unsolicited advice: If you need to do a transatlantic flight at 7:05 am, it is just easier to stay up all night. So, I woke up on Friday and stayed awake all the way to Saturday. Then I arrived back in the USA and stayed up until like 12:30. MORAL--staying awake and getting back on "home time" immediately completely negates any effect of jet lag. I win!). Now, I'd heard the movie was amusing enough, so I thought I'd give it a go.

It was pretty much what I expected. I had hoped that it would be shockingly funny (a la Super Troopers), but sadly it was not. It WAS entertaining enough and I did get some good chuckles. Truthfully, the actors were very funny. Andy, uh, I mean Ed Helms was great and man, his lady was effing mental! Galifianikas was really good, awkward and funny. Even Cooper was pretty good, he plays crazy well. Also, the fat kid with the taser. And the chinese guy who reminded Mel of Steven's dad (I didn't think he seemed NEARLY as amazing as Steven's dad)
See...?

This has clearly gone far off the rails.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
The Hangover
is good enough. I'd give it a 6.5 Go see it. Why not?

No comments: