Monday, August 24, 2009

(500) Days of Summer


So what is this one about?
Well, I sort of knew what it was about when I watched it because Washington Post Express 1) had reviewed it and it sounded interesting and 2) had it as the cover for like 297423743927 days as an advertisement. So, in case you haven't heard about this one yet, Netflix will tell us...
When his girlfriend, Summer (Zooey Deschanel), unceremoniously dumps him, greeting-card copywriter and hopeless romantic Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) begins sifting through the year-plus worth of days they spent together, looking for clues to what went awry. As he recalls the good and bad times he spent with the commitment-phobic girl, his heart reawakens to what it cherishes most. Marc Webb directs this uncommon love story.

And how much did I pay to watch?
$12.00 CAD. That's Canadian Dollars for all you out there in blog land who don't frequently visit xe.com and know all the currency abbreviations. Seems like a lot for a matinee, doesn't it? Yeah, and the conversion rate doesn't even really help that much. $12 CAD is $11.09 USD (obv US dollars). Oh yeah, because I watched this in the T-dot with Ylber. huzzzzzzzah!

And what did I think?
What did I think? I think that Zooey Deschanel continues to irritate me. She has absolutely no range as an actress as to the types of roles she takes/characters she plays. As a classic example of the type of "quirky/weird/sexy-hot" of girl she keeps playing I will offer something wikipedia tells us. (Keep in mind, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is Tom and Zooey Deschanel is Summer)
"While helping Mckenzie to a cab, Mckenzie tells Summer that Tom likes her. Summer asks if it is true and Tom, after some coaxing from Summer, says that he likes her (but adds "as friends"). Summer calls him "very interesting" and leaves Tom standing there on the sidewalk. The next day at work, she kisses him in the copy room. Once Summer's copies are finished, she simply ignores Tom and leaves the copy room."
And if that isn't just the g.d. essence of Zooey, I don't know what is. "Ooooh, look at me! I'm Zooey, I'm quirky, and unique and every man loves me! I can yank them around and they'll still love me because I am so quirky, and sexy, and unique!!" And, I can understand that. She is gorgeous (at least she is in movies, if you look at the photos of her on wikipedia they are unimpressive) and god, that singing voice. She sings in (500) days, and she also has a musical act with M.Ward. The act is called She and Him and I love their cd. Love, love, love it. And the lyrics that she sings are so beautiful (ie. "Cried all night till there was nothing more, what use am I as a heap on the floor?" and "I'm all outta luck, but what else could I be? I know he's yours and he'll never belong to me again, I did him wrong. So don't brag, keep it to yourself, I did him wrong. I was never (no), never (no), never enough, but I should try, I should try, to toughen up. I listened when they told me, if he burns you let him go. Change is hard, I should know" SOOO pretty!! essssspecially with her lovely voice) ANNNNNNNNNYWAY.

So, I thought that Joseph Gordon-Levitts acting was awesome. He is really quite a talented actor.

The writing in the film was also adorable. Tom's realization that he is in love with Summer and then using the same scenes when he realizes that she is a miserable shrew was classic. And, lets face it, it was pretty funny. AND there was a dance sequence!! How does that not have all the makings of a fabulous movie?

I do want to see it again though, to further formulate my ideas about this movie. I think this review is sufficient for now though....

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
I'll give it a 7. I think I can get behind that number.

No comments: