Sunday, August 31, 2008

Superbad

So what is this one about?
My beloved tells us,
40-Year-Old Virgin veterans Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen team up again as producer and co-star/co-writer (respectively) of this high school comedy starring Jonah Hill and Michael Cera as best buddies facing separation anxiety as they prepare to go off to college. Attempting to score alcohol for a party (believing that the babes will follow), the boys' evening quickly dissolves into chaos. Bill Hader ("Saturday Night Live") co-stars.
holler!

And how much did I pay to watch?
Nothing, because I own that shit. However, when I saw it the first time I was in Hungary. Man, that was awesome!! Watching it with an audience (half of which were native english speakers, half of which were reading the Hungarian subtitles...)

And what did I think?
Man, this movie is so awesome! It really is hilarious and smart, which is so unusual for a mainstream comedy that I like. Another one that I find similar to Superbad is Super Troopers (maybe the "super" part is what makes them...well, super)

Anyway, there are so many parts of this movie that actually make me laugh out loud. Not lol, mind you. But actually, vocally, laughing out loud. This is incredibly unusual for me. The scene where the three boys are talking about the fake id...jesus. That is funny. ass. shit. I feel like this movie deserves massive credit for making me really laugh.

I think the boys are adorable. The actors manage to exactly capture the fear of a senior in high school about to leave everything they know in order to go to college. And god, the fact that they are such good friends is so precious. It reminds me so much of me and my best friend in highschool...god, we were attached at the hip! I think the two actors capture so well the emotional heaviness of that period in a young person's life while still completely being accurate about how awkward high schoolers are. God, I mean, all the teen actors did an amazing job at capturing how awkward teenagers are while still making them wildly endearing characters!

Watching the movie for the first time in Hungarian was also hilarious and demonstrated the subtlety of the film. For some reason it seemed like there were some kids who were native english speakers because they were sons and daughters of people who worked for the English embassy. Those three and me and my roommate. Then there were some Hungarians. And the native english speakers laughed at all the funny parts and the Hungarian speakers laughed at the bawdy sex jokes (incidentally, sex, or secks po-ungarische, was used throughout the translation despite the meaning of the phrase...so "making love" was "sex", "fucking" was "sex", "donkey punch" was "sex", etc...). It was quite an interesting exercise in how differently abled speakers understand the same thing. ...Wow, that was way off topic. But interesting nonetheless, I think.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
Hah, what is the rating? Obviously a 10! I loved this one, it is so funny and heartfelt at the same time. I mean, how could you not love it?

No comments: