Friday, August 22, 2008

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Seasons 1 & 2


So what is this one about?
Netflix tells us,
Irreverence is the cocktail of the day for three slacker friends who own an Irish pub in the city of brotherly love. Despite the changing sociopolitical landscape, egocentric trio Mac, Dennis and Charlie cling to their blue-collar, macho attitudes in this sharp-edged comedy series that sends up racism, gun control and other taboo topics. The show's creators, Rob McElhenney, Glenn Howerton and Charlie Day, star as the self-involved pals.
And how much did I pay to watch?
Well, I got it on Netflix, and it was three discs. So whatever that cost ;)

And what did I think?
Well, I've heard about this show forever. I even had someone from highschool say "I was watching "It's always sunny in Philadelphia" and thought that Sweet Dee reminds me of you SO bad." to which another one of my friends from high school responded "you know, actually, billy is right... you are a lot like sweet dee... or at least she reminds me of you back in high school... well, she's a little bitchier." So, even though IASIP had been in my queue forever, those comments made me want to see it even more. Now, granted those comments were made on November 8 and 9, 2007 but I guess I've been busy...or something.

When I looked up It's Always Sunny on wikipedia they told me
Kaitlin Olson as Deandra[5] "Sweet Dee" Reynolds: Dee is Dennis's twin sister and a bartender at Paddy's. She dropped out of Penn (where she had majored in psychology but failed her classes) to become an actress, but has put little effort into realizing her ambition. Although she identifies herself as a compassionate liberal, she will always put herself first and often has the same prejudices as her friends and brother. She is highly sensitive about her appearance and her professional failings. She was unpopular in high school due to her severe scoliosis, which forced her to wear a back brace and earned her the nickname "The Aluminum Monster". Since high school, she has had a long string of failed relationships. Like the other members of the gang, she drinks heavily, especially to calm herself after meeting an attractive man. Deandra also harbors a phobia regarding the elderly. Despite her many insecurities, Dee is aggressively outspoken and prone to violence when angered. Dee was the only major character in the show to be conceived without an actor in mind. Although Deandra was originally written as a female voice of sanity to contrast with her ill-intentioned co-stars, the character became an equal participant in the gang's illicit and morally questionable activities after Olson was cast.[6]
Which made me really wonder...god, am I like this girl?

No. I mean, if I were as hot as her that would be great. But the thing you have to understand about the four main characters is that they are HORRIBLE PEOPLE. But it still ends up being funny as all get out!

I would not recommend this show to you if you're easily offended or if you don't like dark humor. But if you do, man...this one is top notch. The characters are so mean, especially the boys, but you still end up liking them anyway.

I would say that the seven episodes in season 1 were much funnier than the ones in season 2 when Danny Devito joined the cast. But, it was all really entertaining, and HILARIOUS, and I can't wait to see Season 3 on dvd when it comes out next week, and then I can't wait to start watching season 4 when it premiers on FX on September 14.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
This show was so funny. And the characterization created by the actors was amazing. I can't wait to see more.

I give it a 9.

No comments: