Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sex and the City: The Movie

So what is this one about?
Once again, if you don't know about this movie, I wonder if you've been living under a rock. Nevermind though, Netflix will explain it just in case...
"Sex and the City" fans rejoice! Carrie Bradshaw and her girls Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda are back, and this time, they're coming to the big screen with this highly anticipated adaptation of the HBO comedy series. Golden Globe winner Sarah Jessica Parker returns as everyone's favorite columnist who, with her three BFFs (Kristin Davis, Kim Cattrall and Cynthia Nixon), braves the roiling romantic waters of the city that never sleeps.
And, because I am a female I saw this movie. With my mom no less.

And how much did I pay to watch?
I saw it with my mom in the theatre after it was released, and she paid, so I didn't pay anything. And then I watched it again last night on the internets, which was also free.

And what did I think?
Ok. Now I am not one of these women who live and die by Sex and the City. Don't get me wrong, I have seen all the seasons and I've liked them. When the show is on tv I do watch. But, what I am not is someone who has SATC quotes on their facebook wall or aim profile. Even though I do have a favorite quote from them... "And everywhere, little girls in their mothers' pearls will look at that photo and think 'Thats what I want.'" (It was just a really sad line, you know, on that episode where Charlotte's marriage has fallen apart but they are supposed to do a photoshoot of their home, and her husband shows up. The whole thing is that the photos look so beautiful and perfect, but in actuality the marriage is unahppy) Anyway, I've digressed.

So now that I've said that I'm not quite sure where to start on this review that has taken me nearly 3 months to write.

Well, first, I love that tagline. I mean, "Get carried away" get it? like Carrie? the character. har har...so clever.

Now, I dunno. Maybe I'm just not the "target audience" but I hated the idea that women in their twenties come to New York (or I would assume any big city) for love. (Well, Labels and love...but thats soooo inaccurate). And then that your twenties are for enjoying yourself. I guess that makes me sound like an evil old hag, but it seems so dismissive to say that people in their twenties need to be having fun and enjoying themselves all the time. Like...what about getting a career started or something??? (ok, I do sound like a hag)

And then the movie was SO FASHIONY! It was like distractingly so. Like, "here's some pretty clothes/shoes/apartment! Now the movie is great because its pretty!!" I tend to think that movies that try to over compensate for not being amazing with beautiful scenery or clothes are movies that are annoying. Sigh.

Ok, I guess I should get into a more in depth review...maybe about plot or something like that.

Well, when I first saw the movie the scene were Charlotte flips out at Big got me SO choked up. I actually thought the acting and the characterization was really strong in the movie. I think all the actors really acted their characters in a very consistent and thorough way. For example, I loved Samantha's storyline. Good for her. I try to not associate myself with these characters, because every other woman in the whole world does the same thing, but it was hard with this one. She wasn't willing to lose herself in a relationship, and I guess, I know how she feels. Felt. Have I ever mentioned that i tend to talk about characters in shows and movies like they are real people? Maybe you've already noticed that.

I thought Carrie's characterization was bizarre. I had a hard time beleiving that she would get so insane about her wedding. That this woman who young women seem to idolize everywhere as a strong female role model would just lose all perspective seemed weird to me. I hope that women who are mental about having the "perfect" wedding will think about this movie when they go all bridezilla. There are much more important things than a wedding. Like a marriage. And that Carrie Bradshaw forgot that fact, maybe it will help other women remember it in their lives. (I doubt it, but I can at least hope)

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
I liked this one. I didn't like it as much as the show, not at all. But, it was entertaining.

I give it a 6 or 7. Maybe I'll stick with a 6.5.

No comments: