Friday, July 18, 2008

Wind Chill


So what is this one about?
Netflix hooked me on this one with the description of,
From director Gregory Jacobs and executive producers George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh comes this chilling highway horror flick starring Ashton Holmes, Emily Blunt and Martin Donovan. While driving home for Christmas break, two college students find their vehicle broken down on a deserted road where the souls of all who have perished there return to haunt them.
I mean, Emily Blunt, and Clooney and Soderbergh as Executive Producers? Sounds good enough for me!

And how much did I pay to watch?
Net.Flix.Bitches.

And what did I think?
Well, there was one thing about this film that was amazing. Astounding even. The lighting was so natural and wonderful. Almost the entire film takes place 1) at night, and 2) in a car. Many times, I have noticed, lighting in cars is bizarre because I'm constantly asking "where the eff is all that light coming from?!?!" In the same way with night shots I am always wondering, "wait a minute, its night! Where is all that light coming from!?!?" Then I run around the house in a tizzy, freaking out. Because clearly, I sound like an insane person... I digress.

One of the problems I had with the film was its lack of explanation of what was going on. In the director's commentary they explained that they had originally had more information about what was going on, plot wise, but they took it out. They kept saying they hoped that the plot would still be clear. While I agree that everything doesn't need to be jammed down the audience's throat, it was unfortunate because the audience had to take a guess as to what was happening. My understanding of the plot was correct, I think, but it would have been nice to actually know for sure.

However, the directors made a very interesting point in their commentary. The two characters didn't understand what was going on. Because there was no outside narrator (as their often is in horror movies) to explain the history [indian burial ground, serial killer on the loose, etc] to the two main characters, we as the audience knew as much as the two main characters. This is true, and I forgive the small failing now.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
The movie was good enough, not amazing, but not bad. It wasn't all that scary, but it employed a good amount of tension build-up. Like I said, the lighting was amazing, as was the photography.

I think I'd make a good DP. Thats movie biz slang for director of photography. Aren't you impressed?

I rated it a 3 on netflix, but because of the amazing photography direction I will give it a 6 (rather than a 5).

No comments: