Saturday, July 12, 2008

Be Kind Rewind

So what is this one about?
Netflix tells us,
When Jerry (Jack Black) accidentally magnetizes his brain, he inadvertently erases all the videos in the rental store his buddy Mike (Mos Def) runs. To please the store's loyal customers, Jerry and Mike set out to produce their own low-rent remakes of the erased films. Danny Glover, Mia Farrow and Paul Dinello also star in this imaginative comedy written and directed by Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).
However, I didn't put this one in my queue on netflix. I actually saw a commercial for this one on tv and that is what made me interested. The commercial did not explain anything in the netflix summary to me, and therefore it was WAY different than what I expected.
And how much did I pay to watch?
This was a Jack free rental from blockbuster. So, nothing.

And what did I think?
Well, like I said initally, this was very different from what I expected. I thought it would be a ridiculously funny movie about spoofing all types of films. I also had NO idea that Michel Gondry was the director. I love Eternal Sunshine (join the club, right??) and Science of Sleep. (Its actually tricky because I love Science of Sleep way more visually but I like the story of Eternal Sunshine). I think Gondry is a truly innovative and beautiful filmmaker. And once I knew the film was a Gondry it was very obvious in the plot line (I mean, magnetized brains...!!!) and the visuals (especially the scene with Jack Black's magnetic pee).

Expecting a really funny movie, I will admit I was a little disappointed. The plot line of remaking all the movies quickly took a backseat to the more serious plot line. The end was very uplifting and heart warming and all that gooey stuff, and it sort of felt like that time on Scrubs when Polyphonic Spree did a little number in the hospital room... which had a really joyous feeling. (I guess that song is from Eternal Sunshine, isn't it?)

As far as the cinematographic Gondry-isms there were some that were endearing. There were also those that detracted from the whole film. In Science of Sleep the use of cutting away to scenes of imagination added more to the movie. In Be Kind Rewind the use of cutting away to black and white movie clips, I feel, made the story convoluted and confusing. It almost felt like the entire film was two, or even three, separate stories put together. It was odd.

The dvd had a little mini documentary about filming the movie in Passaic, NJ which was very interesting and I though sweet of Gondry to do.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
Like I already said, I really like Gondry, and I was pumped to see this movie. However, it didn't live up to my expectations, and I didn't think it was very well laid out in terms of narrative.

I give it a 5. A middle of the road, exactly average 5.

No comments: