Sunday, February 22, 2009

Meet Bill

So what is this one about?
The 'flix tells us,
Beleaguered bank employee Bill (Aaron Eckhart) has his hands full with his wife's (Elizabeth Banks) infidelity with a local television reporter (Timothy Olyphant), his oblivious father-in-law (Holmes Osborne) who runs the bank, and his own frustrated attempts to change careers in this screwball comedy. But when he's persuaded to mentor a teenager known as the Kid (Logan Lerman), things just might turn around for Bill. Jessica Alba co-stars.
Ok, sounds normal enough, I suppose.

And how much did I pay to watch?
Nothing, because I watched it on Devin's Netflix view it now option. View it now is kind of amazing, but the choices are a little limited.

And what did I think?
So, this seems like it would be normal enough. I get that Bill is a doormat who never asserts himself and therefore never gets what he wants. I get that when he finds out his wife is cheating he wants to take some steps to get her back and maybe turn around his life in the process. I don't however understand what the hell was going on in this movie!

It was one of the oddest things I have ever seen. My netflix review read,
This movie was so weird, like, where did it come from? and why? and what was I supposed to get from
it???

That is pretty accurate. There were just so many bizarre things in the movie that were never really explained. For example, this "Kid" that he mentors. The kid is a little odd, but we are never made to understand what his flippin' deal is. How and why is he so weird. If there had been some explaination as to his weirdness maybe the rest of the movie wouldn't have seemed so creepily off kilter. So much of the oddity that happens in Bill's life is this Kid's fault. It seemed rather jarring that he was so weird with no explation.

Now, I am not saying I constantly need explanations in movies for why things happen, but I am saying it likely would have made the movie more funny if there had been some funny reason the Kid was so odd.

Instead it just makes other things really uncomfortable. Like, why is this Kid so in love with Jessica Alba? He is so in love with her that he dresses up in women's underwear and parades around a mall store in such. He gets Bill to go on a double date with a girl (like maybe early 20s) when the Kid goes on a date with Jessica Alba. The Kid then gets Bill to let him drink alcohol in the tent that all four of them sleep in. Oh wait, but not before they have sex with their respective date...while they are in the tent together. Why was Bill doing these things???

And why did he want a doughnut shop? What the hell was going on!?!?

So little explanation/exposition made the movie creep, creep, creepy.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
I gave it a 2 out of 5 on netflix, so I am going to give it a 3 here. Seriously, don't bother watching this. It was truly, truly bizarre.

No comments: