Friday, February 27, 2009

The Longshots

So what is this one about?
Well, I wish I could have gotten the description from the United Airlines magazine, so I could communicate to you what I was faced with in the decision to watch this movie (as opposed to staring off into space for two hours), but, I cannot. We must settle for the Netflix description. Which is,
Eleven-year-old Jasmine Plummer (Keke Palmer) becomes the Pop Warner League's first female quarterback with help from her uncle (Ice Cube), a former high school gridiron star, in this true story directed by Limp Bizkit front man Fred Durst. Despite her skills on the playing field, Jasmine raises eyebrows in her small Illinois town -- until she exceeds expectations by taking her team to the Pop Warner Super Bowl.
And I wondered, "wait, is that Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit?! Yes, apparently it was." Bizarre.

And how much did I pay to watch?
Well, if you want to be technical, since I watched it on an airplane, I paid how much I paid to fly on the airplane...which was $446. Since that would be insane though, I will say I paid nothing, since I watched it for free on an airplane. Woo!

And what did I think?
Well, airplane movies are quite an interesting thing, like I already said. You can either watch a crappy movie or do some other fun activity. My activities of choice included reading a crappy book, or listening to the music I listen to every damn day in the car, or falling asleep. Besides, when you watch a movie that makes two hours pass sort of quickly. And, when you are flying on United you get to watch NBC on United after the movie. HOORAY!!

So, what did I think about the movie? Overall it wasn't that bad. And Ice Cube, actually, is a fairly competent actor! I know, I know, catch your breath and get over the shock of what I just said. Actually, all the actors were fairly competent.

I vaguely remember seeing ads for this movie when it came out, maybe, and I thought it looked like it was supposed to be a stupid sports comedy. It actually wasn't, and it wasn't really that funny at all.

It was actually much more related to civic things, with a community pulling itself up by the bootstraps because they were inspired by one of the community members. And if you know me, you know that any movie that even touches on civic activism is something that I love (see Hairspray... well, once I write it.) But, you could have tricked me, because I was positive the movie took place in Michigan, not Illinois.

So what is the rating? (out of 10)
Anyway, it was entertaining enough that I did watch it a second time on my return flight.

And it was surprisingly good, especially Ice Cube.

So, I give it a 7. Woah!

No comments: